DTC’s Custody Service enables participants to outsource the safekeeping and processing of physical securities that are not traditionally eligible for the regular depository services.
You can outsource all or part of your physical securities inventory for safekeeping.
When Regular Custody Services are used in conjunction with DTC's Branch Deposit Service (BDS), Restricted Deposit Service (RDS), and New York Window (NYW) Service, Custody participants are able to retain control of their securities without having to handle and secure them.
The Custody Service allows you to deposit securities not traditionally eligible for DTC, including securities such as customer-registered custodial assets, restricted shares, and certain DTC-ineligible securities such as certificated money market instruments (MMIs), private placements, and limited partnerships.
DTC intends to make all appropriate securities eligible for its Custody Service. DTC reserves the right, in its sole discretion to refuse to accept a security or other asset for its Custody Service.
Financial items/documents that are not eligible for the Custody service include:
DTC’s Regular Custody Services free you from the cumbersome physical handling of those securities that are not traditionally eligible for DTC processing.
- Processing withdrawals from inventory, which can include mailing to your customers or branches
- Mailing of certificates as instructed
- Production of customized letters
- Systemic account number changes
- Coupon clipping and shell presentation
- Trailing document deposit
- Customer request for audits
DTC’s Custody Service allows you to submit transfer instructions requesting re-registration into firm or customer name. It also allows for breakdown requests.
Restricted deposits and their transfer instructions are hand delivered or sent by FedEx Priority Overnight service to the transfer agent.
The Custody Reorganization Service allows for presentations on corporate events not eligible for regular DTC services and/or DTC eligible corporate events in restricted shares.
- Assistance with research into reorganization and redemption activities
- Follow-up until all proceeds have been collected
- Allocation of both cash and stock proceeds
- Option of designated custody boxes for reorg sweeps
Branch Deposit Service (BDS)
The Branch Deposit Service (BDS) allows you to have your customer deposits sent directly to DTC from their branches and/or correspondents. The BDS service performs a full examination of these securities prior to crediting into your free account.
- Less workspace and vault space required
- Reduce deposit cycle time
- Mitigate risk
New York Window/Physical Settlement
The New York Window (NYW) allows customers to effect both over-the-window and NSCC & ESS transactions. Customers can effect deliveries using inventory from their custody vault.